Today I find myself days away from September, waking up from what seems like a long summer's nap.
I blame my awakening on the weather. Texas' usual blistering August swelter has given pause for a welcomed overcast and markedly cooler day. The thrill of peekaboo rain clouds rouses an energy in all of us that have spent the summer hunkered down in our dog day hibernations. A chance of rain and a cooler, cloudier day is downright stirring to this Texas girls soul!
Time to get out of this vacation mentality and get busy pumping out some yummy recipes!
This summer has been a blissful blur. Admittedly my kitchen hasn't been as bustling as usual, and it has been lovely!
We took a vacation to visit family on the Big Island of Hawaii, revamped our landscaping, ate too many no-cook meals, and haven't worked out in a gym since late June!
Yes, life happens and I savored each moment for what it was worth. The good (white sand beaches, helicopter rides, sinful veggie burgers, lazy days spent aimlessly soaking up sun and great company) and the bad (triple digit heat, failed summer veggie garden, too many fried foods, skipping the gym for tool long).
But September is coming, the relentless heat is relenting (finally! <insert happy dance here>), and I feel more blessed, rejuvenated and inspired than ever before.
I have reflected on my wonderful summer and am ready to head into September with a few resolutions:
- Get back in the kitchen. For real. I have already begun this and it feels so good. It has been nice to scale back in the kitchen during these brutally hot days, but I surely I have missed being in my zone.
- Get back in the gym. Man have I missed the routine, the deeeeep sleep, and the muscle toning! This time I also want to incorporate more yoga.
- Eat more greens. Sometimes I feel like I scrimp on the green veggies or forget about them too often. The new goal is to incorporate them into each meal.
- Less alcohol. Now that the vacation is over this usually happens quite naturally but it's good stay mindful.
- Nix the gluten. This is an experiment. I noticed that when I eat gluten I experience a dull but steady headache. For the last 3 days I have avoided gluten and have had no headache... hmmmm. So this is worth further exploration to me.
- Probiotics and prebiotics. Along the lines of my gluten suspicions I am working on making sure my healthy gut flora is in balance since many times this can also be off kilter when gluten intolerance comes into play.
So did you get a little off track this summer too? That's okay! Remember that life happens. Every moment (even the naughtier ones) are a valuable moment in your life and this journey of health. Take one day at a time, don't beat yourself up, take a deep breathe and reflect.
What are your reflections from the summer and goals for September?